This is Not Okay For My Daughter’s Eyes {Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 50th Anniversary Edition}

Posted on Feb 27 2014 - 10:22pm by Kelley

This is Not Okay for My Daugther's Eyes | The Best Crowe's Nest

UPDATE : I wanted to reiterate before you read the full article, this goes beyond comparing this image to a breastfeeding mom. With the way society thrives on sex and the image of being sexual, so many young girls grow up with 1.) unrealistic expectations of how they should look and 2.) that being sexy is put on a pedestal; as a way everyone should be. This is not the case. You can be sexy and beautiful without plastering yourselves (or lack thereof) all over the cover of a magazine or for real life women; in public at the mall or out to eat.

Human trafficking is happening everywhere and while I’m not necessarily putting a label on one image here, I’m saying; it’s real. Young girls grow up seeing images like this one and think that’s real life and if us, as parent’s don’t show them this is not reality and this is not okay; they could get sucked in to what society thinks they should be. Where we live, in Charlotte, NC; sex trafficking is a real thing. If my daughter grows up to think this is normal, she could end up being a victim. North Carolina is one of the top states in the US where sex trafficking is most prominent. (Side note : not saying if you don’t idolize these images or try to be like them you won’t be a victim either. Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone at any time, but if women think this is okay, they might start to think other things are too.)

My argument here is; what kind of a mother would I be if I flaunted this image in my daughter’s eyes? It’s not okay. It’s not okay society has put such a glorifying image on sex for young children to see and grow up idolizing. Yes, they’ll see it anywhere, but as you read further, you will hear more about why I have such an issue with this specifically.

———————————————————————————————–

When a friend posted this on Facebook tonight, it caused a lot of debate.

Sports Illustratd 50th Anniversary Cover - Not Okay for my Daugther's Eyes l foreverslikeadream

Now, you can’t see all of the comment on this, but you might be able to get the idea that some (aka : those who are not parents) think this is okay and us parent’s who have issue with it are just sadly mistaken, because our kids are going to grow up and be crazy anyway.

While the parent’s are all arguing that this is not okay for our innocent babies to see. I have to agree. While my disagreement may be for other reasons.

Flashback to the 80s. This is what a Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover looked like.

Elle Macpherso Sports Illustrated swimsuite cover 1988

image credit : sports illustrated.cnn.com

And this is what the cover looks like today, in 2014.

Sports Illustrated 50th anniversary cover

image credit : usweekly.com

In a world where mom’s who are breastfeeding their baby’s are asked to leave a restaurant, cover up in a store, or told they can’t fly on a plane if they have an exposed breast while feeding their infant; why is this okay!?

I have been lucky enough to breastfeed two kids and never been refused a service, but the reality is; it’s true. Follow experts like TheBabyGuyNYC; he’ll tell you. A mom was recently told she would not be allowed to breastfeed her infant uncovered on a plane… even if he won’t eat with his face covered or take a bottle on a flight that is several hours long.

But, it’s okay for my two year old to cash out in a CVS and see the cover above? Really?

Hypocrites.

The argument in my friend’s status was that, our daughter’s are going out (& I quote;) “tweaking like Miley Cyrus” anyway and if we deprive them in their youth, they’re going to go crazy when they get older and let out of the house.

Ignorance Much?

Our world is full of sexuality and crazy things these days. Things I hope my children never see, but unfortunately, they probably will.

But, what kind of a mother would I be if I flaunted this sexual image in my daughter’s face? This image promotes so many things the devil wants us to hear.

• Being insecure about our weight and our looks
  • The fake reality of what we should look like
  • Children wanting to grow up much faster than they should

While I realize there are so many other things our kids can be exposed to (and certainly are even when we try so hard to protect them from it,) we shouldn’t be worried about cashing out at a CVS and our kids innocent eyes being exposed to so much sexuality.

If society thinks it’s okay to ask a mother to leave a restaurant or tell her she can’t fly on a plane if she’s exposing a breast while feeding her newborn, how is this okay!?

How is three women who look too skinny to be healthy with no top looking at the camera in a sexual manner okay compared to a mother feeding her infant? It’s not. That’s the point.

We live in a sexual world. The truth is, times have changed. It wasn’t always this way and I’m sure it’s going to continue to get worse where us parent’s need to be even more afraid of what is out there, but it’s about how we raise our daughter’s and our son’s to be respectful of themselves, their bodies, and other people that is going to count.

I’m not saying every child who is raised right by their parents is going to grow up and not get into trouble or give in to temptation, or vice versa for kids who may not have been taught right from wrong, but what kind of a parent would I be if I waved this magazine cover in my daughter’s face and flaunted it like it was a healthy body image?

We should be encouraging our children to be healthy and happy and respectful. There is nothing about the cover of this magazine that says any of those things.

Now, I’m not saying it’s wrong for this to be on the shelves. Sadly, we live in a time and a world where these types of images are everywhere. However, I am saying.. is it really okay for this to be flashed at the checkout line for innocent eyes?

My daughter deserves better than this. My son deserves better than this. I will nurture them, love them, take care of them, and teach them right from wrong. I will not wave these images in their faces and let them see an image that is so far from reality; it’s disgusting.

Maybe I look at things like this differently now that I’m a parent, but we’re supposed to. We are supposed to have our children’s best interests at heart. We’re supposed to change and grow. We make mistakes, I have and I know I will again; but I will always have my kids and what is best for them in all of my actions. And if that means speaking out about something that is important to me; so be it.

This isn’t about three women in a skimpy bikini. They’re going to see that everywhere, no matter what. This is about the sad twisted views our society has between what’s right and what is wrong and the fact that just, because our kids are going to grow up and be exposed to things makes a two year old being exposed to this image now okay. It doesn’t.

Now.. sound off. Tell me what you think? How is the cover of this magazine any more respectful than a mom feeding her baby while shopping or our to lunch?

1. Aly February 28, 2014 at 8:22 am - Reply

As a mother of a toddler who was not nursed, I feel even more so inclined to reply to your post because I think a lot of people can interpret this as an issue that nursing moms have… And that is not the case. I realize this is the world we live in today… Sex use to be so “taboo” and now it’s all over the place. I’m not naive. I know I cannot shelter my daughter from this as she gets older, but am so tired of the double standards in today’s society. My supermarket has a metal sheet covering nearly all of the front of Cosmo magazine (just exposing the title at the top)… All because of the words on their covers. Would it be THAT difficult to do this here?

I’ve seen comments pop up in my news feed about this too where parents of boys have said they would rather show this to their sons than let them see all there is ok the internet. That could go both ways in my opinion… Maybe my conservative views on this come from the fact that I grew up in a family of all girls. We were never outright exposed to this stuff. But again, it was different times. Our children will never be as innocent as we would want them to be forever, and let’s be honest, children are maturing at much younger ages today than we did because of society. Why is nursing in public so “wrong” but this magazine cover is ok?! I realize it’s “just a picture”. However, little minds don’t interpret things the way ours do. So if you’re thinking “it’s just a picture”, let me ask you this… If it’s just a baby having a much needed meal, what’s the big deal?

• Kelley February 28, 2014 at 8:45 am - Reply

AMEN! Thank you Aly! My comments are definitely not, just related to breastfeeding. Like I said, thankfully I was never told I couldn’t nurse either baby so this was more the overall picture and views we, as a society have being all wrong.

I’ve been so fired up over this reading the comments on my friend’s status, I HAD to say something! I figured if I had such strong opinions and so many things to say, surely so many other people do, too!

2. Jennifer Bullock {MommyBKnowsBest} February 28, 2014 at 9:50 am - Reply

I completely agree with this as a mom of 2 girls!

3. Kerry Cairns February 28, 2014 at 10:28 am - Reply

This p’s me off so badly I seriously want to run out and light fire to all of these magazines. No, I won’t buy them and then light fire….I want to stare hatred into them so they light fire to themselves. Ugh! No words. Just my opinion, I’d black some of these images out and not give them the publicity they’re looking for. Thankfully my daughter sees this as completely wrong, and for that I’m thankful! So thankful that I taught her at such an early age (age 2/3).

4. Jamie Rippy (@MamaMommyMom) February 28, 2014 at 10:48 am - Reply

I breast fed both of my kids. There are few few things that get me worked up like the debate over breastfeeding in public vs the sexualized images that are EVERYWHERE! I’d rather catch my hubby looking at a bf’ing mama any day as opposed to having him oogle the over air brushed, posed, made up models. And my kids… there’s no reason for either of them at 4 or 7 to see a woman’s breasts as anything other than a source of nutrition and comfort.

5. Jessica Ballard March 19, 2014 at 11:22 am - Reply

I agree. I personally know a friend that was asked to leave a restaurant where she was nursing her baby. A family pizza place local in town. A place she has eaten at for years. She was calming her baby who was loudly crying and disturbing patrons, but those patrons instead complained that their son could see her and he didn’t need to see that. WHAT?! That is what they are made to do, but instead you would prefer them see the cover of this magazine with barely any fabric covering a woman’s body at all, and their hands all over each other!! This makes no sense to me, and is part of why I will not subscribe to magazines. There may have been different things in our home prior to kids, but my kids ages 7 and under don’t need to see your trash. Hide that junk and put Better Homes and Gardens or something of that likeness up front because those covers are clean for any person to see. Cover up the trash.

• Kelley March 28, 2014 at 10:54 am - Reply

I just think people have a false sense of reality if they think THIS is okay and appropriate, but a mother breastfeeding her child isn’t. Still, weeks later after this debate and writing this blog post – I am just as angry and fired up as I was then!!

6. Sharlee@mynewlines July 24, 2014 at 11:34 pm - Reply

I linked here from Mom Favorites and I’m glad I did. I love this post more than words can say. If I tried to truly respond, I’d write another post here 🙂 I just had a daughter (she’s six months old) and I worry very much about raising her with confidence enough to cover up and value herself in a world that is quickly losing the value of virtue. Thank you for being brave enough to post this. It’s not always a popular opinion.

• Kelley September 25, 2014 at 11:33 am - Reply

Sharlee, Thank you SO MUCH for stopping by! And so sorry it took me so long to spot your comment and respond! I wrote this, because I know there are SO MANY moms who can relate and some people might not feel like they can stand up to their feelings like this. I started this blog, because I realized I had a voice and thank you so much for reading and sharing your feelings on this with me.. it makes me feel good to know people are reading and especially relating to posts like these!