How To Make Your Holiday a Home

Posted on Dec 1 2014 - 1:23pm by Kelley
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest13Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0

This is a “sponsored post in partnership with Acorn Influence and SC Johnson. The company who sponsored it compensated me via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to write it. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

How To Make Your Holiday a Home #SmellsClean

I am SO into the Christmas spirit!! Are you!? This is my absolute favorite time of the year! Getting out the decorations, putting up and decorating the tree, driving around to check out all of the lights, Barnaby the elf joins us once again, and so much more! There’s nothing I love more than the Christmas spirit and if I could justify bringing it all out the beginning of NOVEMBER, I probably would!

This year though, we decided to forgo our real tree and go with a fake one. Several years ago I gave away our fake tree, because I was ready to start the family tradition of picking out our own tree every year. There’s something about the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree that just gets you into the holiday spirit, isn’t there!? But, last year our tree stand broke halfway through December and our tree was leaking for several weeks until we realized what was happening and come Christmas, we had a seriously dead tree.

So.. this year we went back to a fake tree. While I miss the smell of the real tree, the perfect shape and pre-lit ease that came with setting it up this year was refreshing! And thankfully, I can still smell that holiday spirit by adding a little fresh Christmas scent!

Simple Tips for Making Your Holiday a Home  The Best Crowe's Nest #SmellsClean

Tips For Making Your Holiday a Home

Since I love decorating so much and I like to go all out for the Christmas season, here are a few tips of how you can make your holiday season a meaningful and special time of year and add a little cozy and sweet to your holiday decor.

Simple Tips for Holiday Decorating  The Best Crowe's Nest

• Hang garland in the entryway. I bought several strands of thin garland a few years back and draping it in a few entryway’s around the house was easy, affordable, and added that holiday flair I was looking for without breaking the bank!
  • Wrap a vase you use year round with a holiday ribbon. In my case, I used burlap and added some holiday flowers I bought at the Dollar Store. I didn’t spend anything over $1, used something I already had and can use year round, and added a special holiday spin!
  • Use pictures to decorate. I framed a picture of each of my kids taken on their first Christmas’ and pictures of the kids with Santa. A sweet personal touch that didn’t cost me anything, because I had the frames on hand!
  • Add a holiday scent. Especially this year having a fake tree, I want my house to smell like Christmas. Adding a little holiday scent throughout the house will give your decor and spirit that little extra pizzaz we all love during the holiday season!

Tips For Making Your Holiday a Home  The Best Crowe's Nest #SmellsClean

I’m ready to celebrate and enjoy the spirit all month long and with these affordable and easy tips, you can too! Share your holiday decorating tips with me on Facebook & Twitter, and join me on Instagram to keep an eye out on my decor and more tips and DIY projects throughout the month of December!

And just remember… it’s okay to go with a fake tree or switch things up a bit to make life a little easier. Just, because something is simple, doesn’t mean it isn’t fabulous! Sometimes all it takes is lighting a holiday candle or adding a little Christmas ribbon to jazz up the space you’re working with!

1. Kendra December 1, 2014 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Christmas pretty much exploded over my house this weekend! I can’t wait to start burning my Christmas candles.

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Love, love, love this time of year!

2. Chelsea December 1, 2014 at 3:03 pm - Reply

I’m going to be in New Zealand for most of December this year, so I don’t get to decorate 🙁 I’m SO sad about that, because Christmas is my fave!!

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:25 pm - Reply

Aww I would still decorate, why not!? I remember a few years ago we moved into our new house 4 days before Christmas (I KNOW – crazy, right!?) But I still decorated our old house and we literally moved everything then our tree all decorated and put it up in the new house!

3. Sarah Halstead December 1, 2014 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Looks awesome. I love that banner.

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:25 pm - Reply

You’re like the third person who has commented on that.. will definitely need to be posting a tutorial ASAP!

4. Jess Scull December 1, 2014 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Your house looks amazing! Love that advent calendar!

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Thanks Jess! So funny – we’ve had that advent calendar for years and I never once have used it as an actual advent.. just for decor! haha

5. Lauren December 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm - Reply

LOVE everything! you did such a great job! Love that burlap banner 🙂

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Thanks Lauren! I still need to go browse Hobby Lobby for more inspiration 😉 And the burlap banner was so easy – – I’ll have to do a tutorial!

6. amber.m December 2, 2014 at 8:00 am - Reply

I love that banner! I mean, I love it all but I especially love that banner!

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Thank you! I should post a tutorial – it was super fun and easy to make!

7. Deb www.debcb.com December 2, 2014 at 9:22 am - Reply

I am such a slacker. I need to decorate my home, yet I’m so lazy.

• Kelley December 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm - Reply

My mantle is only half done (that’s why that isn’t in pictures, haha!) I either threw away stuff last year or can’t find a box, because I don’t remember it being as bare as it is right now!!!

8. Laura December 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm - Reply

I’m the worst, I own NO decorations. Granted, I spend all of Christmas at home with my family, but here at school? No decorations.

9. Paige December 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm - Reply

Great tips! And I love your decor!

10. Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck December 3, 2014 at 11:31 am - Reply

I love decorating for Christmas and all the smells that go with it!! 🙂 Love your decorations!

• Kelley December 12, 2014 at 9:36 am - Reply

Thanks Taylor! It’s my favorite time of year!

11. kristine December 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm - Reply

In our rental agreements we always have to have a fake tree, so candles to the rescue every year!